Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Finding Rest For Your Weary Soul?


Memory Verse: "Jesus said, "Come with me by yourselves to a quiet place and get some rest."" (Mk.6:31, NIV)

Scripture Reading: Heb.4:1-11.

At the beginning of each day when my legs hit the floor, my brain immediately brings to my mind what I'm supposed to do for that day including my carry-over tasks from the previous day. I do not have a to-do list most of the time but my determination drives me to accomplish my assignment for each day [with or without a written to-do list].

Often I would find myself overstressed and running on fumes — and ending up exhausted and grumpy. My to-do list (either written or the one saved in my brain) would grow longer by the second, and I longed to escape to some deserted island just to be alone. 

Then, just very recently, I heard God speaking to my heart with words from Ps.62:5 "My soul finds rest in God alone." Oh boy! How I longed for this rest! And I knew that this kind of soul-satisfying rest comes only from God.

As a way of seeking this rest, I began taking 30 to 45 minutes (sometimes an hour) during my day to be alone with God. The time and the location will always vary. Sometimes, I took a walk, listened to music or found a quiet place to sit. I would talk with God about the pressures in that day. 

One day, I asked my Oldest Boyfriend, Why God allow human beings get tired? I thought that God could have created us so that we are perpetually energized, never exhausted. And then He said that tiredness is Jesus calling us to himself. At these times, like a weary child, we need to lay on the lap of Jesus and hear him say, "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest" (Matt.11:28).

Ponder Point: Taking time to rest with God each day will renew and refresh you.

Action Point: Enter into God's rest. 

Prayer Point: Daddy, like a child who is weary, we come just as we are- down and out of strength to find strength in Your presence. Renew and refresh our hearts with Your love. Thank You for giving us rest in Jesus name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please place your comments here.