Sunday, September 25, 2016

Sing

Memory Verse: "Praise the LORD! Sing to the LORD a new song, And praise Him in the congregation of His godly ones (believers)." (Ps.149:1, AMP)

Scripture Reading: Ps.149:1-9.

Today's devotional topic come across to me like a divine instruction and divine instructions are not to be debated on but they are rather to be obeyed to the letter irrespective of how we feel at the time! Need I mention, I'm yet to receive a divine instruction that came when I felt like doing what was required of me. Have you? The point is, it's never convenient to obey.

I opened it up this way because I know there are persons reading this that singing is the last thing they want to do because they have looked at their life and to them the Lord has 'disappointed' them and as such, there's really nothing to sing about.

Sweetheart, learning to thank God irrespective of what's happening in our lives is an important part of our spiritual journey. So how do we make gratitude to God an important part of our lives? 

One of the most important ways to do so is by singing. Baby'm, nothing makes you aware of God's presence more quickly than singing your praise to God from your heart. It does not matter how much musical talent you have, either. God is not interested in the voice. He urges us to make a joyful noise (Ps.100:4). Even pigs do that as they eat! If pigs can make a joyful noise, so can you.

Christianity is a singing faith. There are more songs about Jesus Christ than anything or anyone else, even love. That is why you need to be part of a local church and praise God, today is Sunday! It is not just about listening to a weekly message from the Bible. At least once a week, you need the emotional expression that comes from singing praises to God. If you do not, your heart will shrivel and your life will be dry. You cannot be a healthy Christian on sermons alone. You need both the impression from the message and the expression through the music.


There was a time in my life I suffered from the spirit of depression; seemed like I was born was it. To make it worse, I later read in a couple of books that people with my kind of temperament are prone to being depressed. I knew there had to be a way out. Praise God, I love songs and I equally love singing. This became my tool for fighting the spirit of depression, coupled with the word of God. I noticed that for every time I was depressed and I sang, the spirit of depression had to go. So, singing and listening to songs became a part of life having discovered that you cannot be depressed and joyful (singing brings joy) at the same time. One would have to depart and so depression had to bow out forever.

So my dear readers battling with the spirit of depression, go ahead, turn on your favourite worship songs or find a good Christian radio station, and sing along. You can also sing your own song to the Lord. Thank God for where you are. Thank Him for where He's taking you. Thank Him for what you may have lost and also thank Him for all He has given you. And make a joyful noise to the Lord while you are at it. The truth is, singing praise to God renews the soul. Give it a try. Make it a part of you. You do not sing because you are joyful. You are joyful because you sing. 

Ponder Point: Music is the prayer the heart sings.

Action Point: Sing. Always have a song in your heart to the Lord.

Prayer Point: Holy Spirit, inspire melodious tunes in my heart to the LORD, every moment of my day in Jesus name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please place your comments here.