Wednesday, September 21, 2016

The Fruit of The Spirit

Memory Verse: "But when the Holy Spirit controls our lives he will produce this kind of fruit in us: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control; here there is no conflict with Jewish laws." (Gal.5:22-23, TLB)

Scripture Reading: Gal.5:1-26.

Very recently, I had a chat with someone and the person went on and on about my qualities (fruits) and he said amongst other things that I'm a patient person. When I read that, I quickly breathe a silent prayer of thanksgiving to the Holy Spirit and I remember telling this person that I learnt these from the things God has allowed me to go through in life. And I was beyond grateful to God for the times when I prayed and He didn't answer me immediately or how I wanted it to happen: the delays and twists in His response to my requests taught me patience.

If I'm saying I had to learn patience, it means I didn't have it before. I wish it was only patience I lacked, but no. I came behind in all. Okay, maybe I tried small in kindness and goodness. The day I came face-to-face with the attitude of my heart, I was shocked. I was also ashamed.

Friends, I tell you the truth and I lie not, the fruit of the Spirit is not a list of nice things we should try to do. Neither is it a collection of possible gifts we may or may not have. Instead, this is God's command to those of us who belong to Christ Jesus: to mortify the sinful nature and the fruit it produces.

'Mortify' is such an ugly word, but that is exactly what we have to do. We have to kill that sinful nature with all its ugliness, and live in the Spirit of Christ.

I love the way the Living Bible puts it, "But when the Holy Spirit controls our lives he will produce this kind of fruit in us: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control..." (Gal.5:22-23, Emphasis added)


By implication, manifesting these fruits is only possible at the point where we let go and allow the Holy Spirit control our lives.

This was the point I came to: had to quit controlling and praise God, I'm better for it. However, I'm not saying it's going to be easy. I'm not saying you'll enjoy it initially (because being in control is sweet) but it's possible to let go and submit and it's worth it. So worth it.

There it is—the fruit of the Spirit. If we adorn ourselves with it, others will be led to praise the God of our salvation and our presentations. You too, you'll be happy. The excitement I felt when I read that report about myself (knowing who I was before) cannot be explained in English or any earthly language. And I know my Father is pleased too.

As we go about today, let's remind ourselves that our Father expects us to manifest the fruit of the Spirit in our everyday lives. And to do this successfully, keeping in step with the Holy Spirit is non-negotiable.

Ponder Point: The yardstick for knowing a person is not by their works but by their fruits.

Action Point: Check your fruits. Don't let your works deceive you.

Prayer Point: Holy Spirit, help me to truly represent my spiritual  roots as a believer. Severe whatever fruits that I may be producing that are contrary to my spiritual roots in Jesus name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please place your comments here.