Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Denying Yourself

Google Image
Memory Verse: "By faith, Moses, when grown, refused the privileges of the Egyptian royal house. He chose a hard life with God’s people rather than an opportunistic soft life of sin with the oppressors. He valued suffering in the Messiah’s camp far greater than Egyptian wealth because he was looking ahead, anticipating the payoff." (Heb.11:24-26, MSG)

Scripture Reading: Jn.12:24-26.

If there is one [earthly] person that modeled this subject to me, it is my mother.

She taught me how to deny myself of certain things in order to get something of greater value. I didn't understand it back then: thought she was punishing herself. But I do now.

For instance, I love good food: it makes me happy. But you see, there's nothing wrong with feeling and enduring the pangs of hunger from time to time, not because there's no food (home-made or bought) but because for me, necessity is laid on me that I fast. Woe is me if I don't.

Hunger varies for different people: the question then is, can we allow ourselves feel the pangs of hunger to achieve a greater good?

There are some things we get hungry for but it is required of us that we deny ourselves.

Imagine, two believers in a marriage-relationship. They are physically hungry for each other but so a good foundation for a solid home front can be laid, they deny themselves and avoid having a foretaste of sex: kissing and smooching.

The point is, if the life you're living doesn't place a demand on you or cost you certain things, ask God to kill you because you're dead already. Look at this verse: "But she that liveth in pleasure is dead while she liveth." (1 Tim.5:6)

In other to receive certain things, there are certain things we will need to consciously deny ourselves especially when we can easily and readily afford them.

It's okay to feel hungry- for food, money, sex, power, position, love, marriage, children, a job and many more for a while without going outside of God's will to satisfy this hunger.

This is where the virtue of self-denial comes into play. If you come behind in this virtue, no matter your 'spirituality', destiny fulfillment and indeed eternity with Christ ain't certain.

Ponder Point: Denying yourself of 'good' qualifies you for the best.

Action Point: Cultivate the virtue of self-denial. 

Prayer Point: Father, in the name of Jesus, open my eyes to see the blessings in denying myself so I can subscribe to its demands in Jesus name, Amen.


2 comments:

  1. Thank you miss Iniodu Enwono-abasi.
    I would add that for any believer aspiring to achieve success and indeed impactful living must embrace this virtue of Self-denial. It is very critical to the Kingdom life that God has called us into living. God help us with grace to do so in Jesus Name!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen. Well said my brother. Thank you for your mighty contribution. God bless you.

      Delete

Please place your comments here.