Memory Verse: "If we [freely] admit that we have sinned and confess our sins, He is faithful and just [true to His own nature and promises], and will forgive our sins and cleanse us continually from all unrighteousness [our wrongdoing, everything not in comformity with His will and purpose]. (1 Jn.1:9, NIV)
Scripture Reading: 1 Cor.6:9-20, 1 Cor.9:24-27.
For some days now, I have been meditating along this line of thought: "If you break the commandments of God on any issue, you will pay for it."
As harsh as this sounds (some people aren't ready to hear this but I will say it anyways), it is the truth.
God's standards never change. He will not bend His commands for the sake of anyone (especially those that go around with the mentality that they built heaven with God).
I remember when I was in a relationship with a 'man of God' who tried to use Rm.14:23 to convince me into believing that pre-marital sex is not a sin. He went on to say that as long as I have faith, God will not count it against me! I am yet to recover from this 'rhema. ' Such falsehood and deceit.
Friends, don't let no devil in suit deceive you because pre-marital sex is unacceptable to God. It always has been. It always will be. Living together before getting covenantly married is unacceptable to God. It always has been. It always will be. Adultery, being unfaithful in your marriage is unacceptable with God. It always has been. It will always be. Masturbation is unacceptable to God. It always has been. It always will be. Pornography is unacceptable to God. It always has been. It always will be. Threesome and all manner of sexual perversions is unacceptable to God. It always has been. It always will be.
But if you are guilty of any sexual sin, refuse to despair for that's not the end of your story. God is a God of mercy as long as we own up to our sins. He offers us a chance to come clean and start over.
The following steps shows us how:
1. Repent. Repent means 'to have a change of mind.' You say, 'Lord, You are right. I am wrong. What I did was contrary to Your expectation of me.' Refuse to rationalize your sin or excuse it. Don't try to quote Scriptures to justify your sin. The most important thing is you realising that you're guilty. If you're currently in the middle of an affair, end it today. If you're living with a (wo)man that's not legally your spouse, move out now.
2. Receive forgiveness. God is waiting to forgive, cleanse and restore you. He will release you from the shame, regrets, the hidden hurts and the pain that come from your sin so you don't carry them into your next relationship. God wants to wipe your slate clean. The good news is, once He's forgiven you, you can forgive yourself.
3. Refocus and replace. You make a commitment to live morally pure by God's standard from this day forward. (I hope to share more on this in tomorrow's devotional).
4. Request help daily. [Re]commit your life to Christ (if you have not done so already). Ask Him to help you manage your sex drive. My brother said, if you are genuinely sincere, heaven will back you up.
5. Be accountable. Isolation and the crave for independence is the breeding ground for iniquity. Be humble. Submit yourself to be monitored.
Ponder Point: Don't buy the truth that will destroy your life.
Action Point: Live your life based on the standards of God's word.
Prayer Point: Holy Spirit, strengthen me with strength in my inner man so I can feed my spirit and starve the desires of my flesh in Jesus name, Amen.