Tuesday, October 04, 2016

Takers || Contributors?

Memory Verse: "...For I am among you as one who serves." (Lk.22:27, NLT)

Scripture Reading: Lk.22:24-27.

Yesterday while working at home, I stumbled on a pack of weave (hair extension) I had bought a couple of months back which I didn't use and I thought to myself that I could give this to my cousin who's planning to make her hair this week. All she'll just do is buy one more additional pack; atleast, this will greatly reduce her initial hair budget.

Feeling like a generous daughter of my Father, I took the weave to her. She was happy and she said to me, 'I'm beginning to see your use in this house." We laughed so hard and I jokingly asked her to return my weave.

As I walked back to continue working, I began thinking deeply along these lines (even though it was obvious that she was joking). At the end of my thought, I felt the need to make this our subject of discuss in today's devotional because I know there's at least one person that needs this message.

The question then is, "Are you a taker or a contributor?" Your answer might be yes but will people around you say the same thing? How about the God you profess to represent, will He agree to your 'yes'?

You see, people may not necessarily say it, but they are looking for contributors not takers. Isn't it funny that even takers are looking for contributors so they can keep taking?! And for some reason, it seems the takers anointing is having quite an upper hand in some people's life! Sadly, our relationship with God is also been affected. 

We're only interested in taking and receiving from the Lord. Our walk with the Lord has become more about us and less about Him. Our prayers are like letters to Santa Claus. Our relationships with God are often based on what God does for us rather than what we can do for God.

The secret to overcoming the "takers anointing" lies in meditating on the Lord's prayer (see Matt.6:9-13).

Wake up asking God what you can do to serve Him and people around you. When praying, devote ample time praying for others. You can also become a volunteer to drive a cause you're passionate about. This would be a good place to begin.

The message to us this morning is simple: be a contributor anywhere you find yourself. Don't wait to be served. Stop looking for what others can do for you. Look away from yourself. See how you can become an addition. Stop taking. Start contributing- to God, His kingdom and to those around you.

This way our impact would be greatly felt by all we come in contact with and ultimately, people will begin to thank God for our presence in their lives.

I believe we have some changing to do? Let it begin today. 

Ponder Point: We exist for God. God does not exist for us.

Action Point: Be a selfless contributor.

Prayer Point: Jesus, I'm sorry for the times I lived as a taker. I take a conscious decision and make a positive shift in my lifestyle backed up by the authority in Your word to live from this day as a selfless contributor to You, Your Kingdom and those around me in Jesus name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please place your comments here.