Tuesday, November 22, 2016

A Note To Self


Memory Verse: "...but David encouraged himself in the Lord his God." (1 Sam.30:6, KJV, Emphasis mine)

Scripture Reading: 1 Sam.30:1-31.

David had just won a string of spectacular victories. But on his return home, he found out that his home has been invaded and destroyed by the Amalekites and his family taken captive! He was heart sick. He (Israel's number one man at the time) and his men fell to the ground and wept, until they could weep no more.

Whoelse does this resonate with? One minute we're up and winning, the next minute, we're on the ground weeping. But hey, look what David did: he didn't stay down! He dried his tears, sat up to inquire from the Lord! David understood that God's voice infuses [inner] strength. In the end, David's self-encouragement, coupled with God's guidance led him and his men to their next victory.

There's a lesson here. You must learn how to speak to yourself the right way using the right words.

Moments when I'm down [and sometimes, literally crying too], I write notes from God's word and I read them to myself. I encourage myself and before long, I'm up again conquering cities and taking territories for my King.

Sweets, no matter what you're going through, encourage yourself in the Lord. I'm confident that your joy will return and soon too. Look in the mirror and declare, "This too shall pass. What doesn't destroy me makes me stronger. I will allow this situation drive me closer to You, Lord."

Remember Joseph? Recalling the worst time in his life, he said, "God turned into good what you meant for evil" (Gen.50:20, TLB). God is still very much in the business of turning evil for good. Other perople don't control your destiny, God does. He can and will turn your scars into stars and your pain into gain. Encourage  yourself! Your weaknesses can become discovery points for strengths you never knew you had.

Therefore, my friend, regroup, refocus and resolve to press on. The word for you today is: Learn to encourage yourself.

Ponder Point: The biggest battles bring the biggest victories.

Action Point: Write a note to yourself encouraging yourself in the Lord. 

Prayer Point: Father, in moments where I'm discouraged, help me to draw strength from Your voice within the pages of Your word to encourage myself in Jesus name, Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please place your comments here.