Sunday, November 13, 2016

Handling Depression (II)


Memory Verse: "...Now, Lord, take my life, for I am no better than my father's." (1 Kgs.19:4, NKJV, Emphasis mine)

Scripture Reading: 1 Kgs.19:1-21.

That was Elijah in our memory verse comparing himself to his fathers and I ask myself, how many of us are guilty of this same sin of comparison?!

Another cause of depression is comparing ourselves with other people. We think to ourselves that if we could be just like so-and-so, we'd be happy.

Comparing yourself with others is a sign that you are without wisdom. Simply put, it is a display of foolishness (see 2 Cor.10:12). There's only one person you should strive to be-- and that's yourself. When you try to imitate another person and act like them, invariably you'll end up depressed because you will keep failing at trying to be someone else as God will not engrace (help) you to be someone else other than yourself.

You need to be honest with yourself, and be who God has created you to be. That's all God wants. That's all He expects. When we start comparing ourselves with other people, we fall into a trap: we compare our weaknesses with their strengths. We forget that those people may be weak in areas where we are strong. What more, we try to motivate ourselves through self-criticism and condemnation.

We do it by "should-ing" ourselves: "I should be able to be like that person. I should be able to act better. I should be able to accomplish it. I should be able to stop it" -- as if whipping ourselves verbally is going to change us! Nagging doesn't work when we do it to another person, and nagging ourselves don't work either.

So what's the solution? Start reprogramming your mind with the word of God. Find out what the word says concerning you. Be contented with yourself. Stop the comparison. Work on your weakness, look for people who complement your weakness and most importantly, keep building your strengths.

Ponder Point: Comparison is the thief of joy.

Action Point: Stop comparing yourself with other people.

Prayer Point: Father, forgive me for the times I walked in ignorance. I choose the path of wisdom by walking in my calling and I decree that my joy is restored.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please place your comments here.