Tuesday, November 15, 2016

When You Don't Feel Qualified


Memory Verse: "But Moses pleaded with the LORD, "O Lord, I'm not very good with words. I never have been, and I'm not now, even though you have spoken to me. I get tongue-tied, and my words get tangled."" (Ex.4:10, NLT)

Scripture Reading: Ex.3:1-22; 4:1-17.

When God called Moses to go into Pharoah's palace and declare freedom for God's people, he responded by saying, "Please send someone else."

I've sounded like this a couple of times too.

I got an offer in the area of digital marketing very recently and it scared to me death! When I told my cousin that I was feeling less than qualified, she said, "Don't worry. You'll learn on the job!" That wasn't enough to get me to accept the offer because anything marketing related, I feel very inadequate coupled with the fact that I got no leading to take it on. Though, sometimes, I just wonder why the Lord didn't give me marketing skills. You say I can learn, right? I'll think about it.

Do you feel less than qualified sometimes-- particularly in the area where you feel God is calling you to? If so, here's what God told Moses: "Now go, I will help you speak and will teach you what to say" (see Ex.14:12). 

When God calls you, He equips you for the task. But He doesn't necessarily do it in advance. Sometimes, your training takes place in the process of doing what God said.

This can be scary though and probably, like Moses, you've been saying to God, "I'm afraid to speak in front of people-- what do you mean You want me to lead this team?" Or, "Why would You want me to apply for this job when I'm not particularly qualified?" The truth is, you cannot rely on your own perspective. The only qualifications needed to do any job God calls you to are His strength and His ability. The rest is on-the-job training. You simply have to trust God and follow Him as He leads you. 

This doesn't mean you won't feel fear. It just means you are willing to exercise your faith to stretch and grow beyond what you can imagine, and start doing what needs to be done based on what you currently know. That can be humbling as you'll find yourself continually dependent on God. It's also very likely that you'll have to ask lots of questions from those who are ahead of you in this field-- and sometimes, you'll have to ask these questions more than once.

Don't be afraid to make mistakes, to seek assistance, or do things differently from what you already know.

Ponder Point: If God calls you, you're the right person for the job.

Action Point: Trust God's strength and ability.

Prayer Point: Father, even though I feel less than qualified, nevertheless, at Your call, I will obey. I choose to rely on Your strength and ability to walk and function in Your calling for my life in Jesus name, Amen.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Please place your comments here.