Tuesday, June 07, 2016

A Lesson From Samuel: Self Assessment [As A Believer]


Memory Verse: "Here I am; bear witness against me before the Lord and His anointed. Whose ox have I taken…or whom have I defrauded? Whom have I oppressed, or from whose hand have I taken a bribe to blind my eyes with it? I will restore it to you." (1 Sam.12:3, NASB)


Scripture Reading: 1 Sam.12:1-25.

I do not know if I have shared this before, but I'm drawn to share this again [if I already have].

Toward the end of his life, Samuel paused to reflect.

He had been the spiritual and political leader of Israel. But that was all about to change. Not only was his life coming to an end but Israel was getting its own king.

It was an opportune moment for him to think about his own life and ministry. He described his opposition to the decision to name a king but reminded them that he had "listened to your voice."

Then he reminded the people how he had walked with them. They knew him, and all his successes and failures, mistakes and victories. He reminded them of his legacy. How he had a clean conscience, with no regrets. And if he had done anything wrong, he was prepared to make it right.

His statement is so much like what Paul said at the end of his life. Paul wrote Timothy, "I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race" (2 Tim.4:7). Just like Samuel, Paul also had a clear conscious. He had served God faithfully, and had not left anything undone.

This is a moment to think about your life; which is the purpose of today's devotional. What kind of legacy are you leaving behind? What will you be remembered for? What will people say you stood for? What has God called you to do? What resources has He given you? Have you done anything for which you need forgiveness? Do you have a clear conscience?

Ask Daddy (if He is your Father) to help you live a life with no regrets. Doing the things He has called you to do. Mending any broken relationships. Seeking forgiveness. Living with a clear conscience. Leaving nothing undone and living your life with a sense of urgency.

Ponder Point: Judge yourself before you are judged.

Action Point: Come clean. Be real.

Prayer: Father, search my heart and my life. Reveal anything that is not pleasing to You. Help me to be a clean and pure vessel. Use me to impact lives for Your Kingdom in Jesus name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please place your comments here.