Thursday, October 13, 2016

Humility Lessons From Apostle Paul

Memory Verse: "I don't mean to say I'm perfect. I haven't learned all I should even yet, but I keep working toward that day when I will finally be all that Christ saved me for and wants me to be. No, dear brothers, I'm still not all I should be." (Phil.3:12-13, TLB)

Scripture Reading: Phil.2:1-12.

Following Jesus is a personal decision [of which humility is a compulsory prerequisite] and then a p-r-o-c-e-s-s for the rest of our lives.

When Paul wrote that verse, he was an older man in prison in Rome. He was at the end of life. He was an incredibly mature person. Yet he says he had not arrived. If anybody had the right to say, "I have arrived spiritually," it would be the guy who wrote two-third of the New Testament. But Paul says, no, I have not arrived. I am still growing. I am still learning. I am still becoming.


What is the trap that will keep us from following Paul's example and continue growing in Christ? 

Pride.

Pride will keep us from growing, because when we pretend like we have got it all together, we will not make an effort to become more spiritually mature. No one has it all together! Humility leads to happiness because it makes one teachable.

Happy people never stop growing. Happy people never stop discovering, never stop stretching, never stop learning. If you have stopped growing, you are miserable, because you were designed to grow.

Happiness and humility go together because humble people are teachable. They are always asking, "How can I be a better husband? How can I be a better wife? How can I be a better friend? How can i be a better employee? How can I be a better boss? How can be a better minister of the gospel? How can I be a better follower (disciple) of Christ?"

Saints of God, let this verse overshadow us all through today: "Test yourselves to make sure you are solid in the faith. Don't drift along taking everything for granted. Give yourselves regular checkups. You need firsthand evidence, not mere hearsay, that Jesus Christ is in you. Test it out. If you fail the test, do something about it" (2 Cor.13:5, MSG).

I leave us with the last line of this verse, "If you fail the test [on humility], do something about it."

Ponder Point: The humble man makes room for progress, the proud man believes he's already there.

Action Point: Learn humility.

Prayer Point: Father, by Your Spirit, break me, mold me, fill me and use me. Let the spirit of humility, fall afresh on my life in Jesus name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please place your comments here.