Thursday, May 19, 2016

When He Makes You Wait


Memory Verse: "Wait for the LORD. Be strong, and let your heart take courage. Yes, wait for the LORD." (Ps.27:14, NHEB)


Scripture Reading: Heb.6:11-15.

If you are very close to me, you will know I don't like waiting- for things or for people. I mean, why wait when you can get what you want just when and how you want it? Any witnesses this morning?

However, I found out the hard way that in this kingdom, waiting is not an option, it is [very] compulsory; irrespective of who you are and how bad you want what you want. Myself and the Lord usually had clashes: He wants me to wait and I don't. God began blocking (resisting) me because I MUST wait. And so after series of fighting and losing with God, I said to myself, "There must be a way. I should learn how to wait!"

My understanding of the principle of farming has helped me greatly in this area. It wasn't until years later that I realized farming is featured all through the Bible: from Adam and Eve's instructions to take care of the garden (land), to Jesus' use of agricultural metaphors in His teachings.

We can learn a lot from farmers, especially in regard to waiting.

I imagine farmers know first hand what our memory verse encourages, "Wait for the LORD. Be strong, and let your heart take courage. Yes, wait for the LORD" (Ps.27:14).

I don't know anyone else who better understands the toiling, the waiting, the trusting and the hope that comes in the middle of waiting on God, more than a farmer.

I want to continue having a farmer's heart when it comes to how I view and face various trials in my life, the seasons of waiting and the harder-than-I-thought times. I bet you want this kind of heart too?

After a crop is planted, a farmer doesn't just kick back in a rocking chair on the front porch for a season of sipping sweet tea and lemonade. (That's what I imagine farmers drink.) They look after their crops for anything that would threaten to harm their harvest: weeds, bugs, hungry animals, diseases,...the list could go on depending on the geography and climate.

They don't fret over all the cares of the growing season. They seek God for provision of every detail, right down to the soil under his feet.

We would do well to follow their example.

Yes I know we may not be planning to go out and toss seeds across the yard today, but we can make the choice to persevere with patience in any situation we find ourselves in or any challenge that comes our way.

Here's how: when we plant seeds of Scripture and the loveliness of the character of God continually into our hearts, we will persevere when He makes us wait.

Ponder Point: The waiting period is never in vain if you wait right: God uses the waiting period to prepare us for our promised expectation.

Action Point: Ask the Holy Spirit to teach you 'how to' wait right.

Prayer Point: Teach me Lord to wait on You with the full assurance of faith in Jesus name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please place your comments here.