Saturday, October 15, 2016

What If...?

Memory Verse: "...If the LORD should make windows in heaven [for the rain], could this thing take place?" (2 Kgs.7:2, AMP)

Scripture Reading: 2 Kgs.7:1-20.

Has your mind ever been besieged by 'what-if' thoughts? I for one have had to battle with these thoughts because I used to be a very pessimistic person. I had a hard time growing in faith (and I still struggle sometimes). But then, a time came when I had to choose between staying stuck or moving forward. Obviously, I choose the latter and my life has been better for it.


May be like my former self, your mind is characterised with pessimistic thoughts like, "What if my marriage does not work out?" "What if I never get married or have children?" "What if the stock market plunges?" "What if my employer begins laying off workers?" "What if I do not pass this test?" "What if my children become wayward?" "What if my business fails and I lose all my investments?" "What if I don't get a good job after school?"

Friends, I got to understand that it is not the absence of 'what-ifs' that will give us inner peace and joy but rather our choice to not let the 'what-ifs' control our lives. 

We know there is always some kind of risk in life. We live in a sinful world that is only going to get worse every day until Jesus returns.

We can find our peace and joy when we settle in our spirits that God is in control (see Col.3:15, please read this verse using the AMP Bible). 

Knowing this truth and letting it soak into our hearts gives us hope to keep moving forward even when our plans go wrong. God's plan for our lives will always surpass our plans. He will engineer everything to work towards our good even when we are blinded by the troubles before us.

There is hope for those who have put their trust in Jesus. He does not want us anxious and excited about every possible turn of life (see Phil.4:6-8). We can overcome our anxious thoughts by praying to God and relaxing in His peace. We can also discipline our minds to focus on being thankful about everything that has gone right instead of focusing on all the things that could possibly go wrong.

Our peace and joy is tied into our faith in an all-powerful, all-knowing, and always-present God. We are not left to the mercy of 'what-ifs'. Rather, we are carefully protected and guided by the Lord of the universe. Never forget that, it is better to live a life of 'oh-well' than 'what-ifs.'

Ponder Point: Worry ends when faith in God begins.

Action Point: Let go. Trust God. 

Prayer Point: Dear Lord, I want to let go of all the 'what-ifs' in my life and trust in You with all of my heart. Restore my right thinking so that I can trust in You with all of my heart in Jesus name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please place your comments here.